Encountering Michigan potholes could cost drivers thousands of dollars in vehicle damages.

Damages can range from tire punctures to exhaust and engine damage.

If your car is damaged, there are ways that you can be reimbursed.

The Road Commission of Kalamazoo County has only six active pothole requests to fix.

Filing a damage claim with the state

You can file a damage claim through the state if your vehicle is damaged on a U.S. route, interstate or Michigan highway.

The website advised that the majority of damage claims are denied under governmental immunity laws.

Claims under $1,000

Upon receipt of your damage claim under $1,000, the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) will investigate the incident. Investigations typically take at least 90 days.

Claim form here.

Claims of $1,000 or more

If your alleged damage claim is $1,000 or more, you can recover only by filing a lawsuit against MDOT.

If you want to report a pothole on U.S. routes, interstates or Michigan highways, you can do so online or by calling 888-296-4546.

Filing a claim with Kalamazoo County

On the Road Commission of Kalamazoo County website, you have to contact the commission to request an insurance claim but you must have the following when filing a claim: two estimates, pictures, a police report and your vehicle insurance declarations page with the claim form to the commissions insurance provider.

  • To report a pothole in Kalamazoo, call 269-337-8731.
  • To report a pothole on a Road Commission of Kalamazoo County maintained road, call 269-381-3171

Read more at https://wwmt.com/news/local/state-local-online-resources-explain-how-drivers-can-be-reimbursed-after-pothole-damages.